[vlc-devel] commit: WxWidgets: good bye, I will not miss you. ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Fri Jun 13 08:48:51 CEST 2008

Quoting Remi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:10:24 +0300, Dominique Leuenberger
> <dominique at leuenberger.net> wrote:
>> do you think it's a good moment to kick wx out? I mean what 'stable'
>> alternative do we have? Qt? Doesn't look like the best choice yet... I
>> have to say it looks neat, but crashes more often than wx.
>
> I have to say Wx freezes all the time for me, it's been doing so for 3
> years, and the original has left us to take care of this, well... crap...
> code for something like 4 years.
>
> Besides, I don't want packagers to ship VLC 0.9.0 with the crap WxWidgets
> interface, just because:
>  - they are GNOME/gtk integrists, and/or
>  - they failed to notice the change

Well, I'm packager ;) I have Qt and wx activated in my builds. Could
easily split the wxmodule in an own sub package.

maybe not trying to autodetectd the headers and really really only
building it if --enable-wxwidgets is defined could be an option?

If I'd know more about coding (I'm trying to learn.. slowly but
steady) I would help out with it... in fact on wx I already did a
bit... is pretty sad to see my patches vanish in /dev/null now :(

Dominique