[vlc-devel] libvlc Issues and Questions

mlist at marxbitware.com mlist at marxbitware.com
Sun Jun 15 11:59:56 CEST 2008

Guys,

I'm the developer that has been creating the C# wrapper 0.9.0
available in the videolan forums.  I spent last night connecting an
interface to the wrapper and used a few different versions of the
nightly builds from the last week.

I have noticed a number of issues and I thought I would highlight them:

1.  DVD Menus

When using a DVD with menus, clicking on a menu item results in a copy
of the output Window being made.  That is, rather than reuse the
existing Window, it appears to create new one.  The result is that
both the menu and movie are playing in different layers.  I've
confirmed its not an issue in the wrapper, as I don't hear multiple
audio streams using the similar functions.

2.  CDDA / DVDSimple / VCD

In the latest builds none of these work (eg. "CDDA://E:", etc).  In
fact, in last nights build attempting to load any media results in an
exception in both libvlc_video_set_parent and
libvlc_media_player_set_drawable.

3.  Setting the Output Window

libvlc_media_player_set_drawable does not function.

4.  Getting Current Position

libvlc_media_player_get_position returns 0.

5.  Getting the length of currently playing media

There doesn't appear to be a media_player function for this.

6.  Media_player Navigation

Unable to locate Next, Previous, etc.  Is there a different
interface???  I've seen set_chapter() and and audio_set_track(), must
these be used instead?

7.  Visualisations

Unable to locate functions to enable this when playing a stream or mp3.

8.  Stop does not function as expected

In previous versions of the libvlc API, calling the stop function
would return the output window to its previous state.
libvlc_media_player_stop has the effect of leaving the loaded media in
the window frozen at the point when it was called.

9. libvlc_release()

Calling this results in an exception being generated.  It states that
libvlc was asked to quit in an unexpected fashion.