[vlc-devel] libvlc Issues and Questions

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Jun 15 12:37:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Jun 15, 2008, at 11:59 AM, mlist at marxbitware.com wrote:
> I'm the developer that has been creating the C# wrapper 0.9.0
> available in the videolan forums.  I spent last night connecting an
> interface to the wrapper and used a few different versions of the
> nightly builds from the last week.

Have you looked at the CIL (.NET) bindings provided too?

> I have noticed a number of issues and I thought I would highlight
> them:

Thanks!

> 1.  DVD Menus
>
> When using a DVD with menus, clicking on a menu item results in a copy
> of the output Window being made.  That is, rather than reuse the
> existing Window, it appears to create new one.  The result is that
> both the menu and movie are playing in different layers.  I've
> confirmed its not an issue in the wrapper, as I don't hear multiple
> audio streams using the similar functions.

That's a vout issue, that we could look forward to fix.

> 2.  CDDA / DVDSimple / VCD
>
> In the latest builds none of these work (eg. "CDDA://E:", etc).  In
> fact, in last nights build attempting to load any media results in an
> exception in both libvlc_video_set_parent and
> libvlc_media_player_set_drawable.

No idea.

> 3.  Setting the Output Window
>
> libvlc_media_player_set_drawable does not function.

What version are you using? The good thing would be to provide a
sample code. It is highly probable that your video_output does not
support reading the "drawable" variable. We could look forward to fix
that.

> 4.  Getting Current Position
>
> libvlc_media_player_get_position returns 0.

Works here. Again, do you have a sample code, that shows that it
doesn't work?

> 5.  Getting the length of currently playing media
>
> There doesn't appear to be a media_player function for this.

I think there is a libvlc_media function.

> 6.  Media_player Navigation
>
> Unable to locate Next, Previous, etc.  Is there a different
> interface???  I've seen set_chapter() and and audio_set_track(), must
> these be used instead?

There is no next, previous because it is not a media_list_player.
However with input that do provide menus and track, such as a dvd you
should be able to use set_chapter(), etc.

> 7.  Visualisations
>
> Unable to locate functions to enable this when playing a stream or
> mp3.

Unfortunately there isn't, appart if you pass the right vlc args to
libvlc or to libvlc_media_add_option.

> 8.  Stop does not function as expected
>
> In previous versions of the libvlc API, calling the stop function
> would return the output window to its previous state.
> libvlc_media_player_stop has the effect of leaving the loaded media in
> the window frozen at the point when it was called.
>
> 9. libvlc_release()
>
> Calling this results in an exception being generated.  It states that
> libvlc was asked to quit in an unexpected fashion.

Do you have more detail on that one?

Pierre.