[vlc-devel] [Re: commit: Disable vout_RequestWindow. It has never worked properly ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )]

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Jun 16 21:12:07 CEST 2008

Please reply in-thread. Your mails are difficult to follow.

Le lundi 16 juin 2008 01:01:02 techfreak, vous avez écrit :
> Since this change allways a new video window opens when receiving a
> video stream from VDR ffnetdev. The video output is never shown inside
> of the VLC window.

Since this change, instead of getting pseudo randomly (in decreasing
probability order) VLC to:
- create a non-embedded video output window,
- fault memory segmentation, or
- create an embedded video output smaller than a post stamp,
I get VLC to consistently create non-embedded video output window.

> Prior to this change it worked better but also not properly:

To me, there is no question that the current situation is better, not only
from an software engineering perspective, but also from an usability one.

> When opening the stream, the video was shown inside the VLC window and only
> when changing to another TV channel with different resolution a new
> window was opened.
>
> I hope I can help you finding a better solution than entirely disabling
> this.

The problem is well known - total insane lack of thread synchronization when
allocating the window, causing a segmentation fault, or a denial of feature,
depending on how far the interface object has been initialized at the time of
creating the video output.

http://www.remlab.net/