[vlc-devel] Visualisation Bugs

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Wed Jun 18 13:51:08 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008, mlist at marxbitware.com wrote:
> I have three minor issues:
>
> 1.  Passing these options to
> libvlc_media_add_option(libvlc_media_handle, options, ref ex) has no
> effect.  I can get visualisations to function if I pass the same
> string to libvlc_new(argv.Length, argv, ref ex).

./vlc /mnt/stuff/media/The\ Beatles/1/15\ -\ Yellow\ Submarine.mp3 :audio-visual=visual :effect-list=spectrum
works fine here so it 'should' work using libvlc_media_add_option.

> 2.  How do I change the visualisation at runtime? (i.e Whilst a song
> is playing.)

I guess that you can change the "audio-visual" variable to trigger a
visualisation restart. If that doesn't work, try having a look at how
the Qt interface does it. Of course this is internal VLC programming and
I don't know how you interact with that stuff when using libvlc.

> 3.  Text displayed over the visualisation (i.e the name) does not wrap
> to a new line.  Instead, it overwrites itself resulting in several
> layers of text on a single line.

That's weird. Could you take a screenshot and paste it somewhere online?

The visualisation code most probably needs to be cleaned up anyway ... I
might do that sometime soon (but it'll be for 0.9.1 since we froze 0.9.0
this weekend). Once that's done, adding easy APIs to libvlc to work with
visualisations shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Feel free to bug me on
IRC if you want to help,

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea