[vlc-devel] rtp and seek problem

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Fri Jun 20 10:23:07 CEST 2008

Hi

A few days ago, I tried to point out an issue in seeking and rtp streaming.
As nobody answered, I am trying to figure out the problem myself, but I would
need help.

short question is : is it a normal behavior to close ES (and rtp connection with
it) when seeking in mp4, or is there a problem in rtp stream_out when
deconnecting/reconnecting?

Description of the problem :

The beginning of the connection works fine (rtsp connection and mp4 demuxer
opening the file)

The issue is :

mp4 demux receives the seek command
So it re-creates the ES (mp4.c : function TrackGotoChunkSample : es_out_Del,
TrackCreateES, es_out_Control(ES_OUT_SET_ES) )
But with es_out_Del, the rtp connection is closed (with a goodbye to the
receiver)

Then everything is messy :

When the ES is created again, the rtp connection is also created again.
Meanwhile, as the receiver received the goodbye message, so it sends a teardown
message and everything stops here (the second rtp connection and ES created by
the server are also closed).

steps to reproduce :
start vlc with telnet interface and --rtsp-host option
execute commands :
> new test vod enabled
> setup test input my_mp4_file
> setup test option start-time=4
play the rtsp test stream with another instance of vlc

thank you