[vlc-devel] Open Source Media Player Collaboration.

Just an Illusion jai4forum at yahoo.fr
Mon Jun 30 11:52:14 CEST 2008

Hello, I am not agree with the Rémi conclusion.

Technically this is possible, but that require many constraints on
developers way of work.
E.g : all the code architecture must be fully specify to quickly have a
program features overview.
With this overview, it is possible to identify which part of code (aka
module) is mainly limited to codec and demux features.
And developers can easily identify which part of code they need modify
(with which limitation).

If this part of code is well identify, and if developers follow the
application code architecture, then it is possible to flag that module
as 'codec' or 'demuxer' features and demand the send any commits to a
'sub-mailing list' as [vlc-devel], [vlc-doc], [streaming],... which are
'sub-mailing list' of [vlc] (the full project).

The last requirement, but not the least :
If we want than any improvement can be shared with others projects, then
any code modifications must be documented (not approved or accepted but
really documented) and not only thru code reading interpretation (this
is time consuming, error prone and perhaps not adapted to the new target
: code coding rules, code architecture,...), typical useful information
for code sharing can be :
- Which modify feature ? e.g. : h.264 protocol, Mpeg 1-4 reading and
broadcasting,...
- Why modify feature ? e.g. : bug reference, feature bad implementation
description, specification reference (with short interpretation, if
any), current alternatives if any
- How modify feature ? e.g. : which part of code, way of
implementation/coding, which coding rules, performance feature analysis,
known limitations. In old days that was the 'functional code analysis',
and that can be useful for [vlc-doc] sub-mailing list.
- How testing feature ? e.g. : user case for bug, user case used to
check/test modifications. That is very useful in case of bug to help in
quick bug origin detection (and non regression testing improvement)

Kind regards,
JaI