[vlc-devel] GSoC application (UPnP A/V integration)

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 02:57:12 CET 2008

Hello,

I would like to apply as a student for this year's summer of code.

I picked up the "UPnP media service" idea, as it's the most appealing
one regarding my skills and knowledge. However, the wiki paragraph is
quite vague, so I'll try to precise my project a bit more:

VLC, as a quite featureful application, could take multiple roles in a
UPnP network:
As a media server, it could expose its playlist / media-library to UPnP
devices that are present on the network and send media on demand.
As a media renderer, it could play media exposed by other UPnP media
servers and be remote-controlled over the network.
And finally, as a control point, it could control playback happening on
remote devices.

For this to work VLC needs to implement a stack of "UPnP-standard"
protocols that permit device and service discovery, remote control and
media "streaming"

There are two possible ways to achieve this:

- Using the coherence framework [1] (Like the GNOME music player
rhythmbox did) so VLC can have a full working UPnP stack rather quickly
(Pros: No wheel reinvention. Much easier to write and maintain. Cons:
It's yet another dependency. It's python, not C)

- Implementing all the protocols inside VLC, so they can be used outside
the scope of UPnP A/V. However, this would be much harder and only a
subset of the above-mentioned features would be ready at the end of the
SoC.
(Pros: Reusable code inside VLC. Could be done in C. Cons: Much more
work to write and maintain the code)

I can handle both approaches and I'm beginning to become familiar with
the VLC codebase thanks to my work on the dbus control module.

[1] https://coherence.beebits.net/

Regards,
--
Mirsal Ennaime