[vlc-devel] GSoC application (UPnP A/V integration)

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:55:12 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Mirsal Ennaime <mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> There are two possible ways to achieve this:
>
> - Using the coherence framework [1] (Like the GNOME music player
> rhythmbox did) so VLC can have a full working UPnP stack rather quickly
> (Pros: No wheel reinvention. Much easier to write and maintain. Cons:
> It's yet another dependency. It's python, not C)
>
> - Implementing all the protocols inside VLC, so they can be used outside
> the scope of UPnP A/V. However, this would be much harder and only a
> subset of the above-mentioned features would be ready at the end of the
> SoC.
> (Pros: Reusable code inside VLC. Could be done in C. Cons: Much more
> work to write and maintain the code)
>
> I can handle both approaches and I'm beginning to become familiar with
> the VLC codebase thanks to my work on the dbus control module.

Hi,

I am just a (l)user of VLC, but option 1 means that it will not be supported
on other platforms than Linux right?
If that is the case, I think you should atleast add that as another con on
option 1.

Also for option 2, have you any idea, what kind of subset of features, that
will be done by the end of SOC?
And will you (or somebody else) continue work on it after SOC?

And does SOC stipulate that you need to finish by their deadline or have
something working or similar?

Sorry for the intrusion :)

--
Best regards / Mvh