[vlc-devel] Devolop Multimedia Catalog

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Tue Mar 18 18:58:26 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:56 +0100, Camillo Anania wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi

> I'm a gsoc student applicant and I would like to work for the GREAT
> VLC player.

and hopefully even greater in 6 months ;)

> I would like to expose what I think could be very usefull to spread
> even more the use of VLC and make it more addicting: build a
> multimedia catalog showing in an efficient manner all the media files
> in the local computer, attached devices, remote resources (network
> devices, shared files by computers in the local network).
> MTP Device Service Discovery project also needs a way to show the
> results so it could be profitable expand the MTP Device Service
> Discovery project in something like this:

That looks like separate projects but they fill the same area: desktop
use of VLC.

> 1. MTP Device Service Discovery: all about discovery devices and
> fullfill the data structures about the available devices

Do you own such a device / use it with another player ?
MTP support is hardware dependent, and as VLC is cross-platform it would
be a good idea to support several platforms at once.

> 2. Resources Manager: manage in an efficient way all the media files
> founded in both discovered devices, local hard drives, remote
> resources. This point should include tests on      the best way to
> record and fetch date (unstructured files, structured files, database)

VLC has already a lot of data available, but maybe it needs to be
centrally managed to be better presented -> scroll down.

> 3. Build interface: that's "just" about building the interface showing
> the media files. I think this is a VERY important point and need
> mostly a lot of collaboration for collect feedbacks.

Interface design is a difficult task and has already undergone major
rework for the upcoming VLC version, are you already aware of this new
interface (QT4) ?
Do you have experience/skills in GUI design already ?
Do you plan to use/learn some specific toolkit ?
Cross-platform code is also a major need in this area.

> I want to point up that I use VLC to play almost all my media files
> and I can not hide my frustration when I need to find a media file. We
> can make VLC a great media hub if we want and not only the best
> player.I am here to study in deep the previous points because I choose
> to dedicate this gsoc to projects about multimedia players and I
> really hope all of you finding interesting  those points.

Which kind of media do you play ? files only ?
Do you use tagging / folder & file naming ?

> Kind Regards

Thanks

--
Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>