[vlc-devel] Devolop Multimedia Catalog

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Mar 18 19:42:21 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, Camillo Anania wrote :
> I would like to expose what I think could be very usefull to spread even
> more the use of VLC and make it more addicting: build a multimedia catalog
> showing in an efficient manner all the media files in the local computer,
> attached devices, remote resources (network devices, shared files by
> computers in the local network).
First you should try 0.9.0 and look at the media library.

What I think that should be worked on is a way to synchronise ML from
VLC to the device and vice-versa.

> MTP Device Service Discovery project also needs a way to show the results so
> it could be profitable expand the MTP Device Service Discovery project in
> something like this:
> 1. MTP Device Service Discovery: all about discovery devices and fullfill
> the data structures about the available devices
MTP using libmtp, iPod using libipod ?, generic usb device using ...
(fill the gap)

But those should be deal in the same way, which means improving SD for
live devices.

> 2. Resources Manager: manage in an efficient way all the media files founded
> in both discovered devices, local hard drives, remote resources. This point
> should include tests on      the best way to record and fetch date
> (unstructured files, structured files, database)
This is more a playlist/ml issue, please check 0.9.0-git for that.

> 3. Build interface: that's "just" about building the interface showing the
> media files. I think this is a VERY important point and need mostly a lot of
> collaboration for collect feedbacks.
Start your work on Qt.

My 2¢,

Best Regards,