[vlc-devel] Summer of Code: GUI interfaces for the browsers plug-ins

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at videolan.org
Fri May 2 19:26:48 CEST 2008

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Vladimir Belousov wrote:
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I am glad to inform that I was accepted to work on VLC development.
>>
>> My project is to develop GUI for the Firefox plug-in, create similar
>> IE add-on, "provide a replacement for all preconfigured media players
>> embedded in web pages".
>> The project's wiki page is
>> http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2008/GUI_interfaces_for_the_browsers_plug-ins
>> Any extra ideas are welcome!
>
> In the current code there is already a gui, called toolbar, for Firefox
> in the works. You could extend, improve that one. For IE nothing has
> been done yet, apart from adding the same functions to enable/disable
> the toolbar as under firefox.
>
> There are a few guidelines you need to keep in mind. The Java Script API
> for IE/Firefox/Mozilla/Safari should be exactly the same.

Some more requirements after a discussion with j-b:

- toolbar at the bottom of the video drawing area
- toolbar vissible by default
- toolbar should be possible to disable by webdesigner with JS API.
- toolbar should not be autohiding (think users won't understand)
- toolbar should have nicely designed buttons
- toolbar should work under Firefox windows
- toolbar should work under Firefox linux
- toolbar should work under Mozilla windows?
- toolbar should work under Safari MacOS X (pdherbemont)
- toolbar should have same JS API on all browsers
(IE/Firefox/Safari/Mozilla)

j-b: please extend if I forgot to mention a thing or two ;-)

--
Gtz
Jean-Paul Saman