[vlc-devel] libvlc_media_descriptor_add_option and :vout-filter problem

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Wed May 7 23:03:01 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Wednesday 07 May 2008 19:49:06 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> > I do agree, we don't care on keeping the vout for libvlc-control. The
> > drawbacks are huge if we keep it.
>
> If I understand correctly, the question was about the vout-filters, not the
> vout itself.
>
> I think we SHOULD KEEP the vout using libvlc-control. There is no reason why
> people would accept the annoying flickering anymore with libvlc-control than
> with VLC.

This isn't about libvlc control but about the video output core. "video
filter" filters (v1) are exactly like fake vouts. Which means that
adding or removing one triggers a rebuild of the vout. (As opposed to
"video filter2" or "subpicture filter" which can be added/removed
seemlessly)

So the question here boils down to:
What logic do we apply to keep the vout *and* enforce item specific
:vout-filter= options at the same time?
(Basically :vout-filter= changes should trigger a respawn and keep track
of the deinterlace settings)

(Or to sum it up: The who filters handling code is a total mess in
VLC...)

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea