[vlc-devel] Where does msg_Dbg outputs under Windows

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:47:09 CEST 2008

Thanks for the -vvv option, I did not know this one.

Unfortunatly I was still unable to see the messages generated when I
get the assert.

Logger Module
---------------------

I am already using the libvlc-control log API to redirect logs to the
Windows debug output. The problem I have here is that the Log API
requires I call libvlc_log_iterator_next to get the logs. But when I
assert, the log doesn't get a chance to be read by my application. So
the pertinent info in the log has not been retrieved before the assert
and I can't anymore because of the assert! Chicken and egg thing.
Maybe an event driven log module would be a better idea in this case,
if such an API existed.

Cygwin
-----------

I have installed Cygwin as per the info on the WiKi (thanks
Jean-Baptiste!). This is my first attempt at using Cygwin. I have been
able to start my application using strace -f but I can't see any trace
in the Cygwin command window. Actually I am a bit confused
(inexperienced) at starting an application under Cygwin and seeing the
output debug. If anyone can give me some pointers I would be forever
gratefull!

Thanks,

Jacques Boileau

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Christophe Mutricy <xtophe at chewa.net> wrote:
> > > am not releasing some object properly. From what I see in
> > > libvlc-common.c there is a msg_Dbg that would help me identify the
> > > culprit, but I can't see the msg_Dbg output anywhere. :-( Can someone
> > > shed some light on where these messages get sent?
> >
> > They go to standard output (launch libvlc with -vvv argument)
>
> Which is not really existing on standard win.
>
> So either you use the logger module and output the messages to a text
> file.
> Or you use some *nix emulation like cygwin or Msys
>

> --
> Xtophe

Jacques Boileau