[vlc-devel] main libvlc error: input item... when calling libvlc_release

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:56:40 CEST 2008

Hi Pierre,

Test case? What a great idea! I just took the time to create one and
that enabled me to more easily pin point the problem! The code below
crashes a bit differently than my previous application. but it is at
same place and might be related. What I have been able to pin point
here, by commenting some lines and retesting, is that adding options
seems to be the problem. If I don't add options or if I only add
":sout-all" I don't have a problem, but if I add both options then it
crashes when I do the libvlc_release.

libvlc_instance_t* aLibVLCInstance;
libvlc_media_player_t* aLibVLCMediaPlayer;
libvlc_event_manager_t* aLibVLCEventManager;
libvlc_media_t* aLibVLCMedia;
libvlc_exception_t lLibVLCException;

int   lNbOptions = 9;
const char* lOptions[] =
	{"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC-0.9.0\\plugins",
	"--intf=dummy",
	"--no-media-library",
	"--no-one-instance",
	"--reset-plugins-cache",
	"--no-stats",
	"--no-video-title-show",
	"-vvv",
	"--file-logging"};

libvlc_exception_init(&lLibVLCException);
aLibVLCInstance = libvlc_new(lNbOptions, lOptions, &lLibVLCException);
aLibVLCMediaPlayer = libvlc_media_player_new(aLibVLCInstance,
&lLibVLCException);

aLibVLCMedia = libvlc_media_new(aLibVLCInstance,
"c:\\projects\\libvlctest\\debug\\test.avi", &lLibVLCException);
libvlc_media_add_option(aLibVLCMedia, ":sout=#duplicate{dst=display}",
&lLibVLCException);
libvlc_media_add_option(aLibVLCMedia, ":sout-all", &lLibVLCException);
libvlc_media_player_set_media(aLibVLCMediaPlayer, aLibVLCMedia,
&lLibVLCException);

libvlc_media_player_play(aLibVLCMediaPlayer, &lLibVLCException);
Sleep(5000);
libvlc_media_player_stop(aLibVLCMediaPlayer, &lLibVLCException);

libvlc_media_release(aLibVLCMedia);
libvlc_media_player_release(aLibVLCMediaPlayer);
libvlc_release(aLibVLCInstance);

Jacques Boileau

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> On May 8, 2008, at 11:07 PM, jboileau wrote:
>
>> When I close my application I get an assert when calling
>> libvlc_release. I have been able to capture the log messages and the
>> final message is:
>>
>> [00000001] main libvlc error: input item 022BFDD0 has not been
>> deleted properly:
>> refcount 1, name test.avi
>>
>> The test.avi is the avi I was playing. I will get this message as many
>> times as I have started the avi file. If I do more than one play/stop
>> of the file, I will get as many similar messages as plays I have done.
>
> Do you have a simple test case for that?
>
> There is nothing obvious in libvlc-control at that point, though it
> could be a vlc's core issue. It could also be something not released
> properly in the app you created. That's why a test case would be nice...
>
> Thanks for reporting!
>
> Pierre.

Jacques Boileau