[vlc-devel] Missing RTCP packets

Javier Gálvez Guerrero javier.galvez.guerrero at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:00:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to track *RTP* and *RTCP* packets in a streaming service based
in *VLC 0.8.6.e* through the telnet interface, generating VOD and broadcast
streams. In order to catch the packets I use Wireshark. Both server and
client sides run over *Linux 2.6.24-16*.

The VLC server configuration is this:

#VOD

new garbage vod enabled
setup garbage input
/media/MOTHER/diptvServerLinux32/contents/rock_GARBAGE.mpg

new offspring vod enabled
setup offspring input
/media/MOTHER/diptvServerLinux32/contents/punk_OFFSPRING.mpg

#BROADCAST

new br broadcast enabled loop
setup br input /media/MOTHER/diptvServerLinux32/contents/metal_KORN.mpg
setup br output #rtp{mux=ts,dst=239.255.1.2,name="Channel"}

control br play

So, I have two problems:

1. *VOD*: Client side sends RTCP packets (Receiver Reports and Source
Description messages in a RTCP packet) to the* tcpmux port (1*) and server
side answers with an* ICMP packet (Destination unreachable - Port
unreachable).* AFAIK RTCP packets should be sent (in default mode) to the
video/audio stream port + 1, shouldn't they? What has to be done in order to
keep RTCP packets sent properly? It is properly implemented? Besides
that, *there
are no Sender Reports* at all from the server side. It is implemented to be
sent?

2. *BROADCAST*: There are* no RTCP packets at all*. Again, AFAIK, RTCP
packets must be sent both in unicast and multicast streams, so, what is
happening?

Thank you all,
Javi