[vlc-devel] Avoiding some crashes on maemo platforms

lokidor lokidor at lokiserv.ath.cx
Thu May 15 21:15:53 CEST 2008

Remi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:14:45 +0200, lokidor <lokidor at lokiserv.ath.cx>
> wrote:
>
>> This a backport of a patch for mplayer on the maemo platform (Nokia
>> Internet Tables N770/800/810).
>>
>> Maemo’s Xv had a problem with X errors resulting sometimes in the crash
>> of applications using it.
>> The tip is to simply ignore X errors, this is explained here (thank's
>> morpheuz) :
>> http://labs.morpheuz.eng.br/blog/14/08/2007/xv-and-mplayer-on-maemo/
>>
>> I got the same error with vlc, so I made this patch and it works.
>>

> Yeah, but I think it will cause VLC to crash when run through SSH such that
> MIT-SHM is not available. Is there any reason why you skip the MIT-SHM
> error handling???

No there is no reason and to be honest I didn't know what is MIT-SHM
before you wrote it.
I have forwarded the x11 display throught the ssh connection, my client
is a windows machine running a Xming server which is supposed to not
support the MIT-SHM, vlc didn't crash, but my experiment is perhaps not
representative.