[vlc-devel] subpicture channels and vout_ShowTextAbsolute

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:28:33 CEST 2008

I guess I should have stated that I am not using the vlc executable
but an application I am developing using libvlc. I need to add this
functionnality to libvlc. The marquee filter may also be an option in
this configuration but I thought vout_ShowTextAbsolute to be simpler.
Since I need more than one line/zone of text, I felt the marquee would
be a more complicated route. I guess I would need more than one
marquee, but then how would I address them independently to update
their respectuve text?

Jacques

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Antoine Cellerier
<dionoea at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008, jboileau wrote:
>> I am trying to implement an API to display text over the video. I am
>> trying to use vout_ShowTextAbsolute which seems to be the right
>> candidate for the job. But the concept of channels is a bit obscure to
>> me. My needs are to have more than one zone of text. For example lets
>> say I want text in the four corners. If I call vout_ShowTextAbsolute
>> with the correct flags for the 4 corners but use DEFAULT_CHAN for the
>> channel (which is 1), only the last corner set will have text the
>> others will probably have been deleted by the subsequent calls to
>> vout_ShowTextAbsolute. If I use 2 as the channel number for all 4
>> calls I will then see all my text in each corner. If I try using other
>> channel numbers nothing is displayed. Can someone shed some light on
>> subpicture channels? Is vout_ShowTextAbsolute the way to go to display
>> overlaid text?
>
> The best way I can think of is the marq subpicture filter. You don't
> need to change any code to use it.
>
> vlc --sub-filter marq somevideo.mpg
>
> See for all the options:
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Modules/marq