[vlc-devel] Mozilla plugin (current git master) defunct

Justus-bulk at Piater.name Justus-bulk at Piater.name
Sun Nov 2 09:42:41 CET 2008

Olivier Aubert <olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote on Wed, 29 Oct
2008 18:04:41 +0100:

> I would guess that you are having the same problem that I am facing with
> the python bindings, which was introduced by courmisch in
> 42b58e873a9d91c3a1f2665a01a56525f44313d5 (Do not link plugins against
> libvlccore explicitly).
>
> You can try to preload the libvlc.so lib:
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libvlc.so mozilla
> to see if it solves your problem.

Yes, this seems to be it. Running the browser as
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libvlccore.so iceweasel
solves it.

"Christophe Mutricy" <xtophe at videolan.org> wrote on Wed, 29 Oct 2008
17:08:33 +0000:

> If it's still not good, it might be that the vlc plugins don't see the
> libvlccore loaded by libvlcplugin.so

So this seems to be the case. What would be the proper way to fix it?
Who can explain why the standalone vlc works fine without the
LD_PRELOAD, but the Mozilla plugin doesn't?

Justus