[vlc-devel] Sending synced text to the Qt4 interface

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:54:03 CET 2008

> ask me. In fact, that's the whole point: No one should never call
> vlc_object_find() as you never know what unusual objects tree layout you
> may be part of. It all depends what your "parents" and "children" are doing
> behind your back.

And, we can agree, no one wants to know :)

So, the issue in this particular case goes back to the pause VLC enforces
on the decoder to avoid losing subtitles.

I think I'll rephrase my original question:

Does anybody know of a way I can tell if asking for a SPU buffer is going to
cause such a pause ?

I'm not sure why blocking the decoder would risk losing subtitles actually.
If they're timed along with the video, then they'd only be lost if the video
playback time was past already, so this means we'd have lost part of the
video too (since they'd be showing/hiding at a fixed video frame, regardless
of whether the video appears late). I'm just trying to understand how this
enforced delay works so I can think of how best to avoid my problem.

Thanks