[vlc-devel] "fatal error locking mutex" trying to compile libvlc example

Stjepan Rajko stjepan.rajko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:20:28 CET 2008

Hello,

I would like to use libvlc in an application that captures, records
and annotates video.  To get started, I am trying to build the example
libVLC tutorial code (http://wiki.videolan.org/LibVLC_Tutorial with
"--module-path" changed to "--plugin-path") on OS X 10.5.  It compiles
fine but I get the following error when running:

[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.5
Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
LibVLC fatal error locking mutex in thread 2685341600 at misc/objects.c:194: 22
 Error message: Invalid argument

I get the locking mutex error both when I link/include with libvlc
that I built myself (from the latest vlc source stable download) as
well as link/include with what is present in the downloadable VLC.app.
 The error occurs when executing the line:

inst = libvlc_new (sizeof(vlc_args) / sizeof(vlc_args[0]), vlc_args, &ex);

I am compiling with GCC 4.0 and using the 10.4 SDK if that helps any.

Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Stjepan