[vlc-devel] compile with macosx10.5 SDK

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:30:48 CET 2008

Hi there,

> I once again try to compile VLC for 10.5 SDK.
> I think configured it correctly.
You configured it correctly indeed. However, AFAIK compiling against
the 10.5 SDK will give you binaries running on 10.5 or later only, so
if you want to achieve 10.4-compatible binaries, the 10.4 SDK is
required. Everything else would be a hack IMO.
However, you can compile 10.5-only plugins against the 10.5 SDK and
put them in the 10.4 binaries. VLC's Mac OS X interface will deal with
the situation correctly (concerning the QTKit input module) and will
hide 10.5-only features on 10.4.

> Can I tell the compiler to set the required libiconv version to 5?
Probably by hacking the Makefile manually after configuring... Never
done that before so I can't help you there. Make sure that you also
link against libiconv 5.0.0 in this case (there should be a stub in
the 10.4 SDK).

Best regards,

Felix