[vlc-devel] Windows help offered

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Nov 6 15:52:01 CET 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 02:05:41PM -0000, nick.parker at chequeredvideo.com wrote :
> I have seen the many help requests for Windows porting support on the web
> site.  I would like to find out more about being involved, I have been a
> software developer for the last 15 years and have Unix and Windows
> experience, however my windows experince is all C#.  My main area of
> expertise is SOA/Web Services using products such as BizTalk and ActiveVOS
> - as you can imagine this is miles away from the video world!
>
> I have installed the Cygwin environment and tried to compile a few
> versions on cygwin and have found it OK but not that easy.  I am currently
> stumbling with 0.9.4 as the modules/meta-engine library has a a -nostdlib
> switch and hence its not finding things like std::string and hence isnt
> linking without any unresolved items.
>
> I am beginning to understand how the source code is arranged and how the
> internal architecture holds together so I am not at base 0.  However my
> knowledge of video streams and how they work is minimal.
>
> I cant commit any specific time at present however I would like to help
> where I can.  I have no idea about what is involved in porting to Windows
> but maybe we could discuss something small and non urgent to get my teeth
> into.

Help on Windows would be much appreciated.

Here are a list of some of the current Windows issues as for VLC 0.9-1.0:

  * axvlc.dll && npvlc.dll => private manifests ?
  * NSIS registration of keys
  * Vista integration (with previous point)
  * DirectX and Direct3D improvements (shaders and so on)
  * DirectShow input
  * DirectAudio SPDIF output
  * DirectShow to review
  * CoreAVC or other horrible codecs integration
  * Global hotkeys (see ssbssa patches)
  * Telnet on Windows
  * WinCE port
  * libcddb port finishing
  * MSVC integration and compile of VLC
  * Fontconfig integration for anime subtitles
  * 7.1 setups
  * DXVA
  * DMO with WMP
  * Power Settings