[vlc-devel] filter input rate

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Nov 13 19:50:04 CET 2008

Le jeudi 13 novembre 2008 20:23:26 Mikel Astiz, vous avez écrit :
> For example, our currents tests show that the audio of a DVD is given in
> parts of 1536 samples each. On the contrary, some WAV files are processed
> in a part-size sequence of 1024-1024-157 (that is, one out of three calls
> is given 157 samples, and the rest is given 1024).

Well, basically decoders are free to pass any number of samples at a time. For
samples-based codecs, this can be basically any number. The demuxers
typically send batch of samples as there would be too much overhead sending
samples one by one, and then the decoders just forwards the same decoded
batches. For more advanced codecs, that will be a unit or a multiple of the
granularity of the codec.

So there is no low limit (other than one sample). The high limit is such that
the audio buffers don't starve. So it's less than 1½ seconds, normally much
less.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary