[vlc-devel] For better understanding git

Pavlov Konstantin thresh at altlinux.ru
Wed Nov 19 15:33:08 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:49:40AM +0100, Son Tran wrote:
> Dear all,
> My question seems not to be posted to a right place. But I don't want to ask
> you the question for the pure usage of git. Just for understanding the
> version of VLC.
> -Recently I cloned the database from your git server. In the directory
> .git/refs/tags I saw that I had the revision up to 0.9.4-rc2 in the cloned
> repository. Two weeks later, I cloned again from your repository, this time
> I had up to 0.9.5-rc1 (You are so serious in doing the developement : within
> 2 weeks there were a lot of modification :-) ). My problem is that for both
> cloned repositions, if I compile / make win32-package their latest revision
> in cygwin environment, I obtain apparently the same vlc-git.1.0.0.

Yeah, by default only master branch is created on local side, which has
1.0 nowadays.

You need to checkout by tag ( git checkout -b 0.9.4 tags/0.9.4 ) or by
branch ( git checkout -b 0.9-bugfix origin/0.9-bugfix ) which will have
current bugfix branch.

> Also, if I checkout explicitly (with command "git checkout 0.9.4") from
> the two cloned repository the same revision 0.9.4, the sources seem not
> to be the same. Is that possible?

git checkout -f <id> usually helps.

> -With cywin, I can compile vlc only with gcc 3.4.4. , your release  version
> for windows is always compiled with gcc.4.2.1-sjlj. I can not update the gcc
> in cygwin. So the only one way to update it for my compiled vlc is to
> compile it in msys enviroment?
> Thank you for your help
> Son

Out of my league, sorry.

--
> I'll implement it but in different way.
"I did it myyyyyy waaaaaay" (c) Frank Sinatra
		  -- mike in #5652