[vlc-devel] VOD : freeze while the multicast input is not there

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Thu Oct 2 13:55:40 CEST 2008

Quoting Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>:

> Also it does not make much sense to use a multicast input in VoD mode.

And how would you stream a multicast video to clients outside of your network ?
Plus, this is the only way I found to :
Capture a rtsp source, with only one connection, and then record it and stream
it back to other clients.
To achieve this I have to locally multicast my source, then vlc grab the
multicast to record and stream to "n" clients.

> What happens in broadcast mode?

Works just fine. Beacause in broadcast mode, vlc does not try to read the stream
in advance. And when I do the play command, if the stream is not there yet, it
does not block vlc. It just waits in its own thread.

> What happens with another non-seekable, non-pausable input?

rtp unicast stream have the same problem. So this is not multicast related, but
rtp input related.
rtsp input does not have this problem because it fails after timeout.
Rtp never fails (which, I repeat, is good in other cases), so it freeze vlc.