[vlc-devel] VOD : freeze while the multicast input is not there

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Oct 2 16:59:37 CEST 2008

Le jeudi 2 octobre 2008 14:55:40 Sébastien Escudier, vous avez écrit :
> Quoting Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>:
> > Also it does not make much sense to use a multicast input in VoD mode.
>
> And how would you stream a multicast video to clients outside of your
> network ?

And what does this have to do with using VoD or broadcast mode? Using vod
output for a broadcast makes no sense to me. It just replicates the the exact
same processing for each and every client.

On top of that, VoD was implemented by Gildas as a quick and dirty cut & paste
of the broadcast mode, and has been effectively for the last 3 years or so.

> > What happens with another non-seekable, non-pausable input?
>
> rtp unicast stream have the same problem. So this is not multicast related,
> but rtp input related.

That does not answer the question of what happens with another input PLUGIN.

> rtsp input does not have this problem because it fails after timeout.
> Rtp never fails (which, I repeat, is good in other cases),

RTP fails when the access thread is killed. The bug is in the crappy VoD
stack, not in RTP. Otherwise VLC would get stuck when using the playlist.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary