[vlc-devel] VOD : freeze while the multicast input is not there

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Fri Oct 3 16:47:58 CEST 2008

Le vendredi 3 octobre 2008 12:25:30 Sébastien Escudier, vous avez écrit :
> > No. VOD creates one input per client. Contrary to broadcast.
>
> I do not agree here.

I personnaly have hard times disagreeing with factual truth.

Broadcast uses one input thread for ANY number of clients. It just does. As
one of the co-authors of the VLC RTP stream output, it would be false modesty
to claim I am not sure what I am talking about.

> I see two solutions when a new client asks for the stream :
> Creating a new broadcast with the same input for each client, but then it
> creates one input per client.

That's called "vod".

> Or changing broadcast output (with duplicate option for each client)

Yes.

> but then you need to stop and play the broadcast to enable this
> output modification.

No.

> In this case, every client have their stream freezing for a
> few seconds. If you have a lot of clients connecting and disconnecting all
> the time this is not good.

No.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary