[vlc-devel] VOD : freeze while the multicast input is not there

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Fri Oct 3 09:20:26 CEST 2008

Quoting Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org>:

> > Maybe with a software which accept clients request for the stream, and then
> > create a vlc broadcast output for each one ?
>
> That's the whole point of the broadcast mode.
>
> > Vlc vod do this automatically.
>
> No. VOD creates one input per client. Contrary to broadcast.

I do not agree here.
I see two solutions when a new client asks for the stream :
Creating a new broadcast with the same input for each client, but then it
creates one input per client.
Or changing broadcast output (with duplicate option for each client) but then
you need to stop and play the broadcast to enable this output modification. In
this case, every client have their stream freezing for a few seconds.
If you have a lot of clients connecting and disconnecting all the time this is
not good.