[vlc-devel] commit: stats-change variable for statistics/ removing stats timer from qt4 interface (Ilkka Ollakka )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Oct 12 22:28:53 CEST 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 5:56 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le dimanche 12 octobre 2008 16:56:27 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez
> écrit :
>> Do we really want to go that way? I mean using variables for
>> indicating events is not right, and it's a pity that event signaling
>> is done that way.
>
> Hmm, yeah.
>
>> IMO we should gradually move to vlc_event, and
>> eventually improve the underlying event framework as needed.
>
> libvlc_event is part of the external API, and uses a centralized
> event types
> list, and worse a common event union. To me, this looks pretty bad
> for a
> generic (and internal) event handling mechanism.

I am not speaking about libvlc_event but vlc_event. About the global
union, that the part that would need fixup.

Note, that was done on purpose to:
- centralize possible events, and be quickly able to find every
possible event in libvlc
- simplicity
But for the internal libvlccore API this is not what we want.

However fixing this shouldn't be too complicated, and we have plenty
way of fixing that...

Yet, variables shouldn't be used in that case and we should move to
event.

Pierre.