[vlc-devel] commit: stats-change variable for statistics/ removing stats timer from qt4 interface (Ilkka Ollakka )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Mon Oct 13 09:42:18 CEST 2008

Ji,

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> I am not speaking about libvlc_event but vlc_event. About the global
> union, that the part that would need fixup.
>
> Note, that was done on purpose to:
> - centralize possible events, and be quickly able to find every
> possible event in libvlc
> - simplicity
> But for the internal libvlccore API this is not what we want.
>
> However fixing this shouldn't be too complicated, and we have plenty
> way of fixing that...
Current vlc event is not really usable and should be redisigned before
using it elsewhere.

> Yet, variables shouldn't be used in that case and we should move to
> event.
 Why ? (I am not against changing it)s
 Because designing a new API without having in mind what are the downsides/issues
of the old one is the best way to do the same errors.

The "variable" event way has:
- easy (un)registration.
- easy without ABI break extension.
- automatic way to get the value associated to an event (in the event callback but
also outside it which is really important, and without duplicated code).
- uniformized value transport.
- transport of the emiter object.

The downsides I see:
- hard(impossible) to transport coherent multitple values for a complex event.
- event callback in the emiter thread.
- not easy to find which events are available (but that's a documentation issue)

--
fenrir