[vlc-devel] 5.1 to stereo plugin with lookahead

Rémi Denis rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Oct 24 18:45:55 CEST 2008

   Hello,

> our algorithm needs to have not only the current sound signal (and the past),
> but also some seconds in
the future.

Fundamentally, VLC is a real-time player, owing to its origin as a stream receiver.
There are many audio postprocessing algorithms which depend on "future" samples, in our modern world. But several seconds is a really abnormally long delay. This is probably only acceptable in very specific scenarii.

> COULD SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT YOU CANNOT OBTAIN THE SAMPLES
> BEYOND THE CURRENT POSITION OF THE VIDEO?

 You can to SOME extent. Audio is always processed slightly ahead of time, as per include/vlc_config.h
Not several seconds by default.

> The only solution we have found so far is to use the parameter
> "Audio desynchronization compensation".
> can you change this parameter programmatically in a plugin,
> without involving the user?

It would be ugly, but yes you can.