[vlc-devel] Dynamic overlays

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:53:31 CET 2008

Hi,

what is the preferred way to display dynamic subtitles in VLC ?
A search did yield 3 variables (spu-duration, spu-elapsed, text-rerender)
but this seems to be confined to just one lump of text, and doesn't seem
to be used much at all.

I'd like to be able to essentially draw anything onto the video. It could
be that going for a video_filter would be the right option, but those
overlays will be coming from a subtitles stream in the video (the kate
subtitles module) so I'm not sure how that'd work.

Is there a better way ? If not, is there anything I should know about
communication from a codec to a video filter ?

Thanks