[vlc-devel] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Sep 2 12:33:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:01:43 +0200, Marian Ďurkovič <md at bts.sk> wrote:
>   let me say it's quite strange to see EOS on 0.8.6 at this point of
time.

This is no worse than before. I daresay, it is much better than before. In
fact, 0.8.6 was the first and only release so far to have a maintenance
releases process, after the initial stable release.  Before that, we only
had -test/-rc then stable release, then it was over. Also, there is now an
explicit warning, while in the past, it was silently assumed that people
would upgrade.

>   It's hard to understand, why fully working and crash-tested RTP code
> which has been around for several releases was completely dumped and
> replaced by something which is apparently not usable.

It is perfectly usable to me.

It adds supports for other codecs (especially µ/A-law), and more transport
protocols. Things that people have been asking for, for a long time. That
could not be provided with the previous architecture, which was a
TS-specific hack. RTP simply is _NOT_ an access (live555 is not an access
either, is it?). And it is pretty much impossible for both to cohabit.