[vlc-devel] [vlc] Arabic unicode subtitles improperly displayed
hartman at videolan.org
Mon Sep 8 13:28:20 CEST 2008
On 8 sep 2008, at 05:06, dooooo wrote:
> Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> Le dimanche 7 septembre 2008 04:38:17 dooooo, vous avez écrit :
>>> I can't display Arabic Unicode subtitles properly . In fact this
>>> is present in mplayer and Xine . The only multimedia framework not
>>> suffering from this problem is Gstreamer (I tested with 2 players
>>> Gstreamer as a backend successfully ) .
>>> Vlc screenshot :
>>> Totem-gstreamer screenshot :
>>> I'm attaching a sample subtitle file with this mail to work with
>>> it If
>>> needed .
>> That's a problem with the selected fonts. Go to the preference, and
>> select a
>> font that include Arabic characters.
> Not really .
> As I mentioned the subtitle is Unicode and all mainstream fonts are
> Unicode-compatible .
This does not mean such a font has all the characters supported by
> Anyway , I tried the same font I use in Totem-gstreamer and the result
> didn't change .
Totem may be using fontconfig to automatically fall back on another
font that does have arabic glyphs.
> I investigated the issue ( under Debian at least) before I reported
> It .
> I attached a sample subtitle in the previous e-mail . Try It (in a
> environment) and tell me If you had luck ( A screenshot will
> convince me) .
More information about the vlc-devel