[vlc-devel] commit: Fix GCC error message: undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_sub_4` (Jean-Paul Saman )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Sep 22 13:21:58 CEST 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:29:29 +0200, Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> What is that for an attitude?

Yeah, what is it for an attitude of only committing non-sense? If your
distro gcc is missing something from the baseline 4.1 version, why would it
appear in gcc 4.4? Please answer...

When I have a problem with someone's commit, I answer to the commit log and
describe the problem. Typically that's a git-bisect dump and some error
messages and explanation. And if it is hurting my development I revert it
in my personal work branch until it's fixed (e.g. the week-long DVD lockup,
the variable deadlock from satursday).

When you have a problem, you just commit some work around without trying to
actually understand and fix the problem. And you continue doing so after
_multiple_ complaints over an _extended_ period of time. And you barely
commit anything else - how is this that you need those work around so badly
that you must commit them immediately, but you never actually commit
anything else shortly afterward? How come you cannot work on an older
version if not to commit work on top of the latest bleeding edge? What's
the point of low-activity developers reverting and hindering the work of
very active ones? What's the professionalism of commercial developers only
commit ugly work-arounds and show total contempt for work of volunteer
ones? Sorry, that's just not how _real_professional_ open-source developers
work.

And you dare claim I am the selfish one? (And you hire some despicable guy
whose first act as an employee is to insult me on the mailing list, *ahem*)

> Ah but you just _DO_NOT_ care since your system works !!

And the build bots, and Win32, and OSX, and baseline gcc 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and
the Intel compiler on Linux and what not...?

> It means I am NOT the one who is selfish but YOU.

This is not the first time, but I really really wish you had no _direct_
commit rights to this project. I am actually struggling to find any
meaningful (as in not broken and/or reverted) commit from you over the past
months. It is a shame that it has to come to this, but you clearly refuse
to understand my position.

P.S.: It is easy to blame me for rebutting developers. I don't care. I have
had enough of such stupid mis-targetted blame. I do care about code quality
and maintainability. Obviously someone who does not review other's commit
won't find any reason to complain about anyone's else work. But I _do_
review (most) VLC commits, and I hate hypocrisy.