[vlc-devel] commit: Fix GCC error message: undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_sub_4` (Jean-Paul Saman )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Sep 22 13:13:13 CEST 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:29:29 +0200, Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> I am sick-tired of your selfish "fixes". If your GCC is that broken that
>> it does not have the builtin atomics on 386(!) that's not everybody's
>> problem.

> Actually it is everybody's problem except those that are running Debian
> and according to your reasoning it is ok to break vlc building on every
> other platform.

It is in baseline gcc 4.1.

> What is that for an attitude?

Yeah, what is it for an attitude of only committing CRAPPY FIXES. How many
times have I been complaining about this?

When I have a problem with someone's commit, I answer to the log and
describe the problem. And if it is hurting my development I revert it in my
personal work branch until it's fixed (e.g. the week-long DVD lockup, the
variable deadlock from satursday).

But you? you just commit some total crap that shows no signs of trying to
understand what the problem is. And you continue doing so after MULTIPLE
complaints over a LONG period of time. Worse yet, you don't commit anything
else? What's the point of INACTIVE yet COMMERCIAL developers reverting and
hindering the work of ACTIVE yet VOLUNTEER developers?

That's not how _real_professional_ open-source developers work. And you
dare claim I am the selfish one?

> Ah but you just _DO_NOT_ care since your system works !!

And the build bots, and Win32, and OSX, and baseline gcc 4.1, and what
not... ?

> It means I am NOT the one who is selfish but YOU.

This is not the first time, but I really really wish you had no _direct_
commit rights to this project. I am actually struggling to find any
meaningful (as in not broken and/or reverted) commit from you over the past
months. It is a shame that it has to come to this, but you clearly refuse
to understand.

P.S.: It is easy to blame me for rebutting developers. I don't care. I have
had enough of such stupid blame. I do care about code quality and
maintainability. Obviously someone who does not review other's commit won't
find any reason to complain about anyone's else work. But I _do_ review
(most) VLC commits, and I hate hypocrisy.