[vlc-devel] [RFC] Option whitelisting policy

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Sep 23 05:42:09 CEST 2008

Le mardi 23 septembre 2008 00:57:21 Antoine Cellerier, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008, Laurent Aimar wrote:
> > Could you resend your patch with all remarks (mine and other's ones)
> > taken care of ?
>
> Sure. I disagree about the "useless, already possible in the mrl"
> remarks though. If the option is there and is safe to use we should
> enable its use. If we really don't want to have those options, we should
> just flag them as internal and remove them from the documentation (and
> document the MRL usage better)

Adding VLC options to the playlist in such a generic way was a bad idea to
start with. If there is a known safe and clean way to set a parameter, and if
the wrong and ugly way did not work in 0.9.2, I don't understand what the
heck is the point of supporting the wrong and ugly way.

I would rather force those silly VLC wrappers to produce
0.9.0-0.9.2-compatible playlists as far as they can.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary