[vlc-devel] [RFC] #2106: RTP streaming confusing in Qt intf

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Sep 24 18:59:17 CEST 2008

Le mercredi 24 septembre 2008 19:02:19 Marian Ďurkovič, vous avez écrit :
> That's probably solvable with correct labeling e.g.
> - RTP
> - UDP (Deprecated)

"Deprecated" != "deprecated in favor of RTP"
And then we need to add all the RTP variants, and the UI becomes huge.
I definitely prefer the drop-down list.

> This way the user would be alerted that such option is not the right one.
> BTW, using HTTP (i.e. TCP) for streaming is no good either,
> yet we have this in the UI.

Sure, but... Raw UDP is only used to talk to legacy boxes. I am yet to find
the protocol that makes HTTP "legacy".

> I'd not say dangerous, but it opens a can of worms we should try to avoid.
> One of them is inter-stream synchronization, where you end up with several
> seconds of no video or no audio until live555 gets RTCP for both and
> synchronizes all ESs properly.

TS is not free from early synchronization issues either.

(...)
> Such option is not available from the UI. You can only check SAP-announce
> there, but no HTTP nor RTSP.

That's a start.

> I don't agree here. TS is better for a bunch of reasons,

But your opinion is totally biased.

For plain MPEG-2 audio audio streaming, plain RTP is actually better.
There are also cases where TS simply will not work, e.g. streaming to
PulseAudio.

> it was the default in all past releases and should IMHO remain
> to be the default.

There are no past releases of the Qt4 interface. And then, the whole stream
output panel is so usability-challenged, that I really don't see TS disabled
by default as any significant issue.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary