[vlc-devel] [RFC] #2106: RTP streaming confusing in Qt intf

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Sep 24 21:39:43 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:59:17 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> But your opinion is totally biased.
>
> For plain MPEG-2 audio audio streaming, plain RTP is actually better.
> There are also cases where TS simply will not work, e.g. streaming to
> PulseAudio.

Are we changing focus to audio-only and going to rename the project to AudioLAN?
:-)

> > it was the default in all past releases and should IMHO remain
> > to be the default.
>
> There are no past releases of the Qt4 interface.

There was certainly life before Qt4 and/or VLC 0.9.x.
The Streaming panel was definitely there in previous releases and both UDP and
RTP were present. Moreover, all networking choices were using TS container since
day one.

Changing just the RTP item will certainly confuse users and eventually make them
believe RTP is unstable and always changing stuff they need to stay away from.
That's exactly the contrary to what we're trying to achive.

   With kind regards,

         M.