[vlc-devel] [RFC] #2106: RTP streaming confusing in Qt intf

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Fri Sep 26 10:52:49 CEST 2008

Hi Ilkka,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:26:27PM +0300, Ilkka Ollakka wrote:
>  For RTP output raw output is more reasonable default, because currently
>  I've encountered more people wanting to try streaming from VLC to
>  mobiles, which don't understand TS-muxing. Thou it should have then
>  that sdp export to file/rtsp as default (thou haven't yet tested widely
>  does vlc rtsp and mobile clients talk to eatch other how well).

What you describe here is of course valid and usefull streaming scenario
also beyond mobile phones. Looking at the Open->Network dialog, it
however has a separate entry - called RTSP.

In order to be intuitive, I therefore propose to create a new entry
in the streaming panel called RTSP - which will use IP-muxed RTP as
default transport. This way user can select RTSP both in the streaming
panel as well as in the Open->Network dialog and have the necessary SDP
info properly propagated over RTSP.

Then, the RTP entry could retain its previos meaning (TS over RTP)
and could be usable without any SDP the same way as in VLC 0.8.6.

	With kind regards,

                 M.