[vlc-devel] [RFC] #2106: RTP streaming confusing in Qt intf

Ilkka Ollakka ilkka.ollakka+vlc at oamk.fi
Thu Sep 25 12:26:27 CEST 2008

On to 25. syyskuuta 2008 11:10:37, Marian Ďurkovič wrote:

> Fine, agreed at least on this one. So let's use TS as default to be
> consistent with earlier releases.

 I think that TS could be reasonable default for http output, but

> Agreed here. But why do you think IP mux (i.e. RAW) is more sane default
> than TS? It's user experience what matters here, and you already stated that
> streaming panel is overly complex for average user.

 For RTP output raw output is more reasonable default, because currently
 I've encountered more people wanting to try streaming from VLC to
 mobiles, which don't understand TS-muxing. Thou it should have then
 that sdp export to file/rtsp as default (thou haven't yet tested widely
 does vlc rtsp and mobile clients talk to eatch other how well).

> Now with 0.9.2 - IP muxing is the default and it needs SDP. How many users
> know what SDP is? And how many know how to export it e.g. via HTTP?
> Do they know they have to use Open->HTTP on the client when they're streaming
> RTP from the server? Is that intuitive? And what if the stream starts failing
> after 2 hours due to buffer underruns just because it goes via live555 without
> clock synchro?

 This could be solved by small info on 'this is your current stream url:
 ....' couldn't it? Atleast on somepoint, and in rtp unicast/multicast,
 http unicast serving scenarios.

> OK, they could manually select TS mux. Do they know what a mux is and which
> one is the right one amongst all those choices?

 It depends how much you think that users should know what they're
 doing.

> So the resume is: with 0.8.6 RTP "just worked" and all the user needed to
> know was one parameter - IP address. If they selected RTP on server side,
> they also selected RTP on client side. Everyone could easily handle that, and
> that's IMHO the usage case for this GUI. With TS mux as default, noone is
> stopping experienced users to select any other mux they need.

 Actually, average user ain't usually even sure what his/her ip address
 is, or what ip address you should put there. So 0.8.6 rtp stuff worked
 quite easily in one use-case, not in all of those.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Is your job running?  You'd better go catch it!