[vlc-devel] Scalability on VLC

sbm at gti.ssr.upm.es sbm at gti.ssr.upm.es
Wed Sep 24 18:40:21 CEST 2008

To whom it may concern,

I am a masters student at UPM (Madrid, Spain) and my work revolves around
video scalability. The intention is to implement it in VLC.

I am considering using a library called suitdecoder which is based on
ffmpeg library but incorporating scalability. However, I am not quite sure
how to integrate it with VLC code.

I have been searching information on your website and the steps I found to
include a new library on VLC source code are:

- Modify configure.ac file including the new library.
- Add a new line in modules/codec/Modules.am file with the format i.e.
SOURCES_suitdecoder = suitdecoder.c.
- Create the file suitdecoder.c inside modules/codec which handles the
library when a scalable stream is received.

I wonder if you could tell me whether those steps are right or if the
would be other things that must be done.

Any bibliographic reference would also be welcome.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Yours faithfully,

Saulo Bueno.