[vlc-devel] ATTN: removal of website playlist parsers

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Apr 15 17:57:08 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:28:17PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Conveniently, nobody bothered to comment on my several complaints
> surrounding the inclusion of playlist parsers for various websites.
> I assume that means I am right, and those may be construed as copyright
> violations.

Noone could comment because noone of us is a lawyer.

> Hence, I'm going to remove all LUA parsers but the CUE file one before
> 1.0 goes out. If you have a proof that a given parser is not in breach
> of copyright for the corresponding website, please explain why/how.

Could you you say why you think those parsers are breaches of
copyrights?

How are those scripts different from GreaseMonkey, AdBlock or any other
webviewer? How are those scripts different from the Youtube-browsing
interfaces from TVs, or from the browsing from most other free Media Center
software?

Why not "wait for trouble"?

Best Regards,

--