[vlc-devel] Add a us_strtof function to avoid problem with comma and point in equalizer

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Apr 16 15:20:14 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 16 avril 2009, Cyril MATHE a écrit :
> In the QT interface values in strings are saved and read with point
> although my computer is not using US format. Default option in VLC is
> to read save float value in string with point,

VLC always saves *float* settings with the US decimal separator.
But the equalizer band setting is *not* a float setting. It's a
character *string*.

> but when using moz-plugin, firefox seems to change this option

Both Firefox and VLC configure LC_NUMERIC according to the user
configured locale. There is no difference between either of them.
In other words, atof(), strtof(), scanf("%f") and the likes expect a
comma inside Firefox processes as well as inside VLC processes.

> and so I have a problem to read those string coming from VLC. Actually
> in moz-plugin strtof is looking for a coma not a point, and this is to
> avoid this problem that I need us_strtof.

As far as I can tell, at the moment, the problem is _not_ with Firefox.
The problem is with the Qt UI, which is not formatting float numbers
properly.

Nevertheless, I don't mind changing the equalizer string convention to
always use US format rather than locale format. But then, you need to
fix your patch because it currently breaks with !HAVE_STRTOF.

http://www.remlab.net/