[vlc-devel] ATTN: removal of website playlist parsers

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Apr 16 18:46:17 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 16 avril 2009, David Flynn a écrit :
> publishing the souce code does not.  It gets more dubious with
> binaries. It gets more dubious as to who is the one doing the
> violating.

I don't disagree that the combination of software and hardware may
constitute a technological device that could infringe some patents. But
I don't see that as a concern for the VideoLAN project as a software
publisher. It may very well be a concern in the case of OEMs and STBs.

Fortunately, the VideoLAN project does not provide any hardware.

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that patent infringement is not a
criminal matter. In other words, you cannot be prosecuted for patent
infringement. Instead a patent holder must sue (which costs money). On
the other hand, piracy is - including accessing YouTube without
authorization, or, under DMCA and EUCD, providing LUA scripts
essentially meant to access YouTube without authorization.

http://www.remlab.net/