[vlc-devel] 64bit nightly builds for Mac OS X

Felix Paul Kühne fpkuehne at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 2 14:18:59 CEST 2009

Regrettably, I've got to take this back.

The "install_name_tool" provided with current releases of Xcode for
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard does not support 64bit binaries. That's why, we
can neither use pre-compiled contribs nor package VLC to make it
redistributable on this Mac OS X version. However, you can compile
completely functional builds on your own with the -m64 compiler flag.

Let's see if this gets fixed in a future Xcode 3.1.x release.
Otherwise, we will have to wait until september for Snow Leopard to
become published.

Anyway, for VLC 1.0.2, I'll happily provide a x86_64 build of VLC,
which will be able to run on Leopard and Snow Leopard. Given the build
tool's limitations on Leopard and the removal of PowerPC support in
Snow Leopard, I will not work on PPC64 builds.

Best regards,

Felix