[vlc-devel] 64bit nightly builds for Mac OS X

Bernie Purcell Bernie.Purcell at opentv.com
Mon Aug 3 01:45:10 CEST 2009

Hi Felix,

I submitted a patch a little while ago that upgraded quartztext to
CoreText and should fix the second of the issues you mention below. It
didn't centralise the common code (with freetype) in a separate header
file, as Fenrir pointed out, but neither, I think does the current
quartztext module. Updating to CoreText allowed me to simplify a lot of
the parameter passing, so a number of functions actually have less
similarity to the freetype ones now, though, anyway.
I can't realistically support vlc any more, and haven't been able to for
some time. With all your work for a 64bit port I felt responsible for
having written one of the most 32-bit biased modules in the code,
quartztext and thought I should at least update it.
I can understand and accept if there are reasons for not wanting to use
the new module, or not finding the code up to scratch. I'm only
mentioning it in case you hadn't been aware of the original mail, which
got stuck on my outgoing mail server for a few days and then came
through to the list a few days in the past. DJ did take a brief look at
it at the time and said it worked for him, but his and Fenrir's were the
only comments it generated.

Bernie