[vlc-devel] Unable to get OSX version of VLC to play video in MY window

Greg Wishart gregw at omediae.com
Tue Aug 11 00:37:53 CEST 2009

Hello, I need some help getting VLC to play video on OSX. I have built
version 0.9.10 and it runs fine by itself, but not the way I need it
to. I'm working on a program that uses VLC to play video in one of MY
windows instead of a window that VLC creates. Our technique works fine
on Windows, but on OSX, we just hear the audio... no video.

Our app starts by looking for an instance of VLC running. If not
found, it launch an instance. When it launches, it loads a module we
have built that replaces the regular user interface with something
that simply listens for commands from our player (start, stop, pause,
etc) and displays some debug output. When our player app (which uses
wxWidgets) sends a command to VLC to play a file, one of the
parameters is a window handle of the window that the video is to be
played in. This sets the "drawable" variable which is supposed to
display video on OUR window but we never see it.

I can supply some code examples, but for now, does anyone have any
idea on what might be wrong? This technique works great on the Windows
version... I'm using version 0.9.10

-greg-