[vlc-devel] commit: qt4: remove b_is_node and use childCount() > 0 instead in playlist_model (Ilkka Ollakka )

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:29:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Ilkka Ollakka
<ilkka.ollakka+vlc at oamk.fi<ilkka.ollakka%2Bvlc at oamk.fi>
> wrote:

> I don't think in media-library should have strict representasion of
> directories required, eg I would like to have node in medialibrary which
> has all my dvb playlist-items, and one with url to my http-links and one
> with music etc. Thou I would also like that normal playlist is flat and
> medialibrary is tree. Or actually I would like to drag nodes to selector
> and place it there as new rootItem.

As for strict representation of directories:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Mini_Projects#Live_folders

So my idea was that only certain singular (sub)nodes could be read-only. It
can go hand in hand with otherwise extensibly modifiable tree.
I believe that to make the read-only property properly, it should be
controlled in core already. (Though core doesn't have a sense of GUI /
internal differentiation. Maybe we could simply make all vlc_playlist.h
functions obey that property, while other internal functions would allow to
bypass it)

I like the idea of having an arbitrary node as new item in selector!

And I have been experimenting with a simple switch in GUI for tree /
onelevel mode. I have that code stashed somewhere and can pull it out. It
places a button next to "add", "loop", "random"... buttons. It only misses a
cute icon.

It's only a bit awkward because flat and tree playlist structures are not
too nicely synchronized, and as I have written in a description to commit
a2d9bd0a079e288e89224e39ae85e3b7c3923963, I believe they can not be too well
synchronized.
Therefore I would like to hear your opinion on following idea: upon
switching from tree to flat, the flat one get's recreated (a tree can be
perfectly splashed into flat order of items), but upon switching from flat
to tree, you get a tree which contains only that flat list. Or maybe there
is simply no hard switching between flat - tree. You only have a command
like "Splash-that-tree-to-a-flat-list".